CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Technique

We have speeding issues here on this post. It is worse than I have ever seen on any other post before. Talked to the MP's here one day and was told they write over 500 every month! This is a small post!

The biggest problem is when the kids are coming and going from school. Speed limit in the residential areas here is 15. When these kids get out of school, I would say about 85-90% of them have to cross the road that runs behind the school, because most of them live back there, including us.

There is a group of mothers who have been trying to get signs posted or speed bumps or even just an MP to come and sit while the kids are coming and going to school. We finally got one unmarked cop to come and watch what was happening.

Speed, DG and I were crossing the crosswalk (which they just painted on recently) one afternoon as a car comes flying around the corner. They start to slow down, but my kids were still in the street so I stopped in the middle so they had to stop. One of the other moms was out there with her 5 yr old this day with a posterboard that said "Thank you for not speeding" and she walked out to the street while he was stopped and said, the speed limit is 15! As soon as she stepped off the street, he floored it. Mind you there are still other kids walking home and around the street.

A couple of driveways down was the unmarked car, who blipped his siren, yet the car did not even slow down. The cop had to chase him halfway through the neighborhood to finally get him to pull over! Idiot!

As me and the kids were driving to chuech the other day, I guess after having mulled this over for a few days, Speed pipes up from the back seat and says, "You know, it would be a great technique if all cop cars did not have police written on them. I bet they would catch more people." Hmmmmm, sounds like a technique they should use more often, huh?? :)

3 comments:

Sara said...

That sounds like a huge problem. I'd be livid!

wifeunit said...

Jeez...

That is ridiculous.

The worst offenders in my mind are the UPS guy and the maintenance guys. Some I can totally tell which one is coming by the sound of their car down the road. And I don't have to wait long to see them pass the house. And the big garbage truck thing comes flying down our road.

I know we live around the corner from each other somehow ( :-p ) but I had no idea the school letting out time is so scary. I would also be mad mad mad.

BTW - you are amazing about your crossfit-ing through your pregnancy. I read it and shudder at how lazy I am. I did find out that we do have something on base now for crossfitters. Did you see they set up a time, a place and a blog? The videos they put up have successfully intimidated me, but it looks awesome.

Vypergirl said...

Yes the way people drive here is very infuriating. There are way too many kids around here for people to drive like that. One of my friends even had her dog hit and they had to amputate one the dogs legs. Driver never stopped, slowed down, or offered an apology. He parked in front of his house and went in like nothing happened. Their 4 yr old saw it all too. It was a total fluke that the dog had been outside, something not normal for them. She is usually on a leash or what not, their front door got blown open by the wind that dog took her chance to run! Sad story!! She is doing well now though!

Thanks Wifeunit for the compliments! Yes there is a group that meets 3 days a week at noon and I had the link but I lost it and have been too lazy to dig it back up!